1. Hari Raya Aidilfitri or Eid Mubarak Celebration 2014 started on Monday July 28, 2014 after a month long fasting of Ramadhan. Usually the Celebration preceded one to two weeks earlier with the receipt of Hari Raya Greeting cards from business associates, colleagues in the offices one had worked before and relatives and friends. The cards have the usual captions 'Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri - Dengan Ingatan Tulus Ikhlas - Maaf Zahir dan Batin'. The two key things in the greeting are 'Ingatan Tulus Ikhlas - Sincere Remembrance, not only those living but also to those who have gone before us, Maaf Zahir Batin - Seek Forgiveness'. However, this tradition of sending out greeting cards appears to be dwindling. For this Hari Raya I received 11 cards as opposed to many folds this number in the earlier years. of TSH ResourcesFor the purpose of the record, among the friends that have extended Hari Raya Greeting cards this year include Y. Bhg Prof. Emeritus Tan Sri Dr Zakri Abdul Hamid, Tan Sri Sanusi Junid, Dato' Moehamad Izat Emir, Presiden Persatuan Pedagang dan Pengusaha Melayu Malaysia (Perdasama), Dato' Dr. Sharif bin Haron, DG of MARDI and the two DDGs, Puan Hazami Habib, COO Academy of Sciences Malaysia, Dato' Hj Aliasak b. Hj Ambia, Persatuan Pekebun Kecil Kebangsaan, Dato' Gabriel William, Executive Director, Outward Bound School Sabah, Puan Faridah Shamsudin, Utusan Publications & Distributors (my book publisher) and Mr. Lim Fook Hin of TSH Resources. However, a significant number of the exchange of greetings have come in different forms - through the smartphones or the emails in the internet. This occasion is often looked at as a time to connect, strengthen relationship with family members, business and organisational associates and for the younger to seek forgiveness to those older than them.
2. I particularly look forward to the family gathering. Our eldest daughter, Rozita, visited us earlier and informed that she will be spending Hari Raya with her in-laws in Alor Star. Our youngest daughter, Rozana and her husband, Nizam and the three boys came in two days earlier. Rozana usually makes sure that things are in the proper places or hidden - the various documents such as receipts, brochures and others were in their proper places, books which are scattered all over the living room , were transferred to the library, the carpets and cardboards were dusted and cleaned up and a few flower vases were filled up with sweet smelling flowers and placed in prominent positions in the living room and reception area. Our son, Rosmin, moved in on Hari Raya eve.
3. The preparation for the Hari Raya slowly built up a week before the celebration, marketing to get supplies for the dishes to be served to the visitors and guests Beef is a must for the 'rendang', chicken wings and drumsticks for deep frying, and 'daun palas' for the 'ketupat daun palas' which is our speciality every Hari Raya. I get my regular gift of fruit cakes from Datin Pam and ordered a few types of cakes from the Persatuan Alumni UPM. Other goodies were brought over by the children.
|Rozana, Shadzwan and Shafique filling the daun palas with beras pulut|
|The ladies in the kitchen getting the ingredients ready|
|Fireworks in the compound of the house on Hari Raya Night|
|The scene at the surau where the Eid prayer was performed|
6. Friends, and neighbors started coming over at 9.30 am and members of the family (brothers, nephews and nieces) at a later part of the day and I continued to receive visitors for the next few days. The main dishes that were served include tomato rice, chicken curry, 'ketupat daun palas', beef rendang, deep fried chicken wing and drumstick. The various types of cakes and the traditional kuih were also served. The drinks served were orange juice and hot tea. Among the friends that visited us were: Hj. Ahmad Nordin and his wife, Hj. A. Rahman Daud, Tan Sri Mohd Noor Ismail and Puan Sri Zainab, Mr. Kong Hock Sian and wife, Prof. Emeritus Chin Hoon Fong, Dr. Ismail Hamzah, Datuk Noramly Muslim, Andre Sibert and wife, Prof. Emeritus A. Halim Osman, wife and son. Among the issues and topics discussed with friends include food security in the country, advancement in science and sharing one's experiences and wisdom by writing.
Mr. Kong Hock Sian and his wife
|Tuan Hj. Ahmad Nordin|
|Andre Sibert and Esther|
|Presenting my latest book 'A Senior Citizen's Journeys of Happiness to|
Prof. Emeritus A. Halim Osman
|Halim, Roslina and daughter|
7. We were particularly happy to receive streams of family members. As the eldest in the family with the passing way of my elder brother, Idris, I have to play the role of patriarch in the family. I have taken the opportunity to remind those who are still in schools or higher educational institutions to work hard. I reminded the the older generation to lead a balanced life - success in their work career, exercise regularly, watch on the diet, always rest well, be involved in community work. Do not forget to share their experiences and wisdom through writing
|Brother Hassan Basri and his big family|
|Brother Ahmad Shadzli and his family|
|Niece Zaharah and her husband, Kamaruddin and family|
|Nieces from Rawang and their family|
8. In this auspicious Eidul Fitri month, many other events were organised - open houses, engagements and weddings. Though official (government) open houses were cancelled due to the unfortunate MH 17 incident in Ukraine, a smaller scale reception were held. I attended receptions organised by SAHOCA Alumni held at the Perdana Leadership Centre at Putrajaya, Persatuan Alumni MARDI (MASMARDI) held at MARDI Penang and Persatuan Kanser Negara held the Institut Kanser Negara Putrajaya. I was the spokesman, on behalf of my niece, Faezah Mutalib and her husband Hj Mohd Yusof in Ipoh at the engagement ceremony of their daughter Hanie. On that trip, proceeded up north to visit my brother Adnan in Alor Star and then attended the wedding reception in Kangar, Perlis hosted by Tan Sri Shahidan Kassim, whose son married the granddaughter of my good friend, Dato' Kamaruddin Kachar. There were three other weddings that we attended during the month.
|At the engagement ceremony of grand niece, Hanie, in Ipoh|
simultaneously. It was a grand event
Open House organised by Persatuan Kanser Selangor dan Wilayah